Posted: 4:17 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013
The British Columbia Coroners office has released the final death report on Glee star Cory Monteith and it sheds from light into his sad last moments.
The report concluded that the 31-year-old actor died in July of mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin use combined with the ingestion of alcohol and that the death was ruled accidental.
New details include that “investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses. The investigation confirmed that hotel video captured Mr. Monteith returning alone to his room at 2:16 a.m. on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again.” Monteith’s lifeless body was found by staff at Vancouver’s Pacific Rim Hotel shortly after noon that day when he failed to check out of his hotel room.
The report also confirmed that” he had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs. It is noted that if someone has abstained from using opioids (which include heroin) for a period of time, tolerance may be lessened.” Meaning that Cory’s April trip to rehab in April of this year likely lessened his tolerance for heroin and that going back to using again at levels he did before he cleaned up could have attributed to his death.
The Glee episode dealing with the death of Cory’s character Finn Hudson will air on October 10th.