Now Playing
The New 93Q
Last Song Played
Houston's Country
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
The New 93Q
Last Song Played
Houston's Country

news

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Watch Wayne LaPierre’s speech to CPAC

National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday.

Click here to listen to his full speech.

NRA opposes raising minimum age to buy rifles

Officials with the National Rifle Association on Wednesday voiced opposition to any legislation aimed at raising the minimum age needed to buy certain rifles amid a renewed gun debate following last week’s deadly school shooting in Florida.

>> Read more trending news

In a statement obtained by The Hill, NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker said the focus should be on keeping guns out of the hands of “violent criminals and the dangerously mentally ill.”

“Passing a law that makes it illegal for a 20-year-old to purchase a shotgun for hunting or adult single mother from purchasing the most effective self-defense rifle on the market punishes law-abiding citizens for the evil acts of criminals,” she said.

The group argued that raising the minimum age would deprive people between the ages of 18 and 20 of “their constitutional right to self-protection.”

Authorities said Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old identified by police as the gunman in last week’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, legally bought the AR-15 rifle he used to gun down 14 students and three teachers. He has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

>> Related: Florida school shooting: How difficult is it to purchase a gun in Florida?

The current federal minimum age for buying or possessing handguns is 21, but the limit is 18 for rifles, including assault-type weapons such as the AR-15.

Officials with the NRA did not address the possibility of raising the minimum age Thursday while speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference. However, President Donald Trump endorsed the idea during a school safety discussion Thursday with state and local leaders from across the nation, The Associated Press reported.

>> Related: Who is NRA head Wayne LaPierre and what did he say at the CPAC meeting?

"We're going to work on getting the age up to 21 instead of 18," Trump said. "The NRA will back it and so will Congress.”

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Arizona, said in a tweet Wednesday that he was working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, on a bipartisan bill to raise the minimum gun purchase age for most Americans to 21 years old.

“A kid too young (to) buy a handgun should be too young to buy an #AR15,” he wrote.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Amy Poehler, ‘Parks and Rec’ cast ask NRA to take down Leslie Knope tweet

The National Rifle Association has gone under the scope of national scrutiny again after last week’s deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school. The organization’s latest offense came after it decided to tweet a GIF from the NBC show “Parks and Recreation” on Wednesday night.

>> Read more trending news 

The group sought to thank spokesperson Dana Loesch for her presence at a CNN town hall with the GIF. The GIF features the show’s main character, Leslie Knope, who was portrayed by comedian and actress Amy Poehler for seven seasons.

Show creator Michael Shur addressed the GIF on Twitter Thursday morning.

“Hi, please take this down. I would prefer you not use a GIF from a show I worked on to promote your pro-slaughter agenda,” he tweeted.

Shur also shared a message from Poehler.

“Also, Amy isn’t on twitter, but she texted me a message: ‘Can you tweet the NRA for me and tell them I said (expletive) off?'”

Other actors on the show joined in, including Nick Offerman, who played Ron Swanson on the show.

“Our good-hearted show and especially our Leslie Knope represent the opposite of your pro-slaughter agenda - take it down,” Offerman tweeted along with an explicit remark.

Adam Scott, who played Ben Wyatt, and Aubrey Plaza, who played April Ludgate, also responded on Twitter.“Hey NRA please stay the (expletive) away form Lesilie Knope,” Scott tweeted.

Plaza responded to Offerman’s tweet with a GIF of her character from the series.

While Poehler’s Leslie Knope largely remained accepting of several different political ideologies, it was no secret that Pohler leaned toward the Democratic Party at the time of the 2016 presidential election.

As of the writing of this article, the tweet shows no signs of being removed anytime soon.

Company warns of Instant Pot overheating, melting

Instant Pot is warning customers of a potential hazard in one of its cooker models.

WTSP reported Thursday that the company made a post on Facebook Sunday saying it has received “a small number of reports” that its Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker overheats, causing melting.

>> Read more trending news 

“We believe the problem only affects batchcodes 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, and 1746. To verify the 4-digit batchcode, locate the silver label on the underside of the product,” the company said in the post. “The batchcode is the 4-digit number located at the bottom right of the label. We want you to know that we take any problem with our products extremely seriously as safety and quality are our primary concern, and we are working cooperatively with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).”

The company asked customers with the Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker from batchcodes 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, and 1746 to stop using the product immediately.

Customers with this model who have questions can call the Instant Pot customer care team at 1-800-828-7280.

67-year-old Jane Seymour poses for ‘Playboy,’ ‘I feel much sexier now’ 

Elegant actress Jane Seymour is about to grace the pages of “Playboy” magazine at 67-years-old.

>> Read more trending news 

The former Bond girl took to social media Wednesday to share a modest photograph from her upcoming spread in the iconic men’s magazine.

“I’m thrilled to finally share this with you! I was recently photographed and interviewed in my home by Playboy,” Seymour captioned the image on Instagram.

“I open up about my career, my family, feeling better-than-ever at 67 and so much more,” she wrote.

This is the “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman” star’s third spread in “Playboy.”

The legendary actress told the magazine that her age hasn’t diminished her confidence.

“I feel much sexier now than I ever did when I was younger” she said.

“Then I was like, ‘Oh gosh, I’m supposed to be sexy. What is that?!’ There’s an enormous freedom in having lived as long as I have,” she added. “Like my father used to say, I’m comfortable in my own skin.”

And there’s no doubt that she’s all natural.

“I haven’t done any surgeries or injections or anything. I haven’t done any of it,” she explained.

>> Related: Tennis champ Serena Williams reveals she ‘almost died’ in childbirth

“So I still look like ‘me.’ Everyday I’m kind of tempted, but then I look at people I know and I don’t [recognize] them. I’m authentically being me. That’s important to me.”

Snap Inc.’s stock falls after Kylie Jenner tweet about Snapchat redesign

Kylie Jenner may be one of many Snapchat users who isn’t happy about the app’s redesign.

The 20-year-old new mom asked her followers on Tuesday if anyone else no longer uses the app.

>> Read more trending news 

“So does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me,” she wrote. “Ugh this is so sad.”

Bloomberg reported that the timing of the tweet may have caused a drop in stock for Snap Inc., the company that owns Snapchat.

“Shares sank as much as 7.2 percent Thursday, wiping out $1.3 billion in market value, on the heels of a tweet from Kylie Jenner,” the publication said.

According to a Wednesday tweet from Reuters, the drop in Snap’s stock adds up to about $1.5 billion lost in market value.

Related: ‘Change it back’: Snapchat users not happy about latest update

Ten minutes after the first tweet, Jenner said she still has love for the app.

“Still love you tho snap,” she tweeted. “My first love.”

Jenner, who welcomed her first child, daughter Stormi Webster, Feb. 1, may have not opened the app because she’s busy with her little one and boyfriend Travis Scott.

Related: Kylie Jenner gives birth to baby girl

“Still staring at her all day,” Jenner told a fan of her newborn. “She looks just like me when I was a baby.”

Report: Actress Rachel McAdams pregnant with first child

Congratulations are in order for actress Rachel McAdams, who is reportedly expecting her first child.

E! News, citing several unnamed sources, reported that the 39-year-old actress is pregnant.

>> Read more trending news 

In 2016, Us Weekly reported that the private star was seen holding hands with screenwriter Jamie Linden, which prompted speculation that they were dating.

McAdams has not commented on the report, but she has been vocal about becoming a mother in the past.

“Having a few (kids) would be great,” she told People in 2009. “My mom is a great inspiration to me. She’s a nurse and very nurturing and gentle. She lets me be who I am. Hopefully I can take on those qualities and be as great as her.”

Adams, who has a starring role in the movie “Game Night,” was not at the Los Angeles premiere of the movie Wednesday. According to E! News, the Canadian actress was last photographed in Toronto wearing a baggy jacket. 

FCC repeal of net neutrality rules to take effect in April

America’s net neutrality rules are set to end in April after the Federal Communications Commission voted to repeal them late last year, according to an order filed Thursday with the Federal Register.

>> Read more trending news

The repeal is set to take effect April 23, according to the order.

The Republican-led FCC voted in December to repeal net neutrality rules, which aimed to stop broadband companies from exercising more control over what people watch and see on the internet.

>> Related: Net neutrality vote: FCC OKs repeal of Obama-era rules

The broadband industry promised that the internet experience wouldn’t change, but critics argued that the Obama-era rules were needed to prevent broadband providers like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T from having the power to censor content on the internet. 

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, who put forth the planned repeal and voted in its favor, dismissed the concerns last year.

“The sky is not falling,” he said. “Consumers will remain protected and the internet will continue to thrive. … Quite simply, we are restoring the light-touch framework that has governed the internet for most of its existence.”

>> Related: 5 things to know about the FCC’s net neutrality repeal

Still, Thursday’s filing was expected to open the door to challengers of the decision, The Hill reported.

“Now that the new rules have officially been published, net neutrality supporters are able to mount a legal challenge against them,” according to the news site. “Democratic attorneys general, public interest groups and internet companies have all promised to file lawsuits to preserve the 2015 protections.”

The attorneys general of 20 states and tech companies filed suits last month to halt the repeal, according to CNN.

>> Related: State attorneys general ask FCC to delay net neutrality vote

Denelle Dixon, chief business and legal officer at Mozilla, wrote in a post on the tech company's blog that Mozilla refiled a challenge to the repeal "immediately after the order was published."

"We won't waste a minute in our fight to protect net neutrality because it's our mission to ensure the internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all," she wrote. "An internet that truly puts people first, where individuals can shape their own experience and are empowered, safe and independent."

Votes fell along party lines in December, with the FCC board’s Republicans favoring the repeal and the two Democrats on the board voting against it.

>> Related: New York AG investigating fraudulent net neutrality comments to FCC

FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, who voted against the repeal, said in a statement released Thursday that the FCC has “failed the American public.”

“It turned a blind eye to all kinds of corruption in our public record – from Russian intervention to fake comments to stolen identities in our files,” she said.

Before December’s vote, the attorneys general of nearly 20 states asked the FCC to delay its decision based on evidence that impersonators posted hundreds of thousands of fake comments on the commissions’ notice of the proposed rule change. Despite the appeal, the vote went on as scheduled.

“As a result of the mess the agency created, broadband providers will now have the power to block websites, throttle services and censor online content,” Rosenworcel said. “This is not right. The FCC is on the wrong side of history and the wrong side of the law and it deserves to have its handiwork revisited, reexamined and ultimately reversed.”

Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo share first picture of daughter Gio Grace 

The world has been introduced to a peek of Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo’s new baby girl, Gio Grace.

The new mom of two shared the first photo of the baby on Instagram Feb. 21. She also confirmed her birthday and her name.

 >> Read more trending news 

“Gio Grace Levine 2/15/18,” Prinsloo wrote. “She’s got her dads toes.”

The couple welcomed their first child, daughter Dusty Rose, in September 2016. Shortly after announcing they were expecting a second child, Levine spoke with Ellen DeGeneres about his desire to have more children with his wife.

“I want a lot (of kids); I thrive in chaos,” Levine said at the time. “(Behati) was an only child, so she wants like 100 babies. I don’t know if I can do that. That’s a lot of babies.”

Who is NRA head Wayne LaPierre and what did he say at the CPAC meeting?

National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre took the opportunity to slam Democrats Thursday during a speech at the 2018 Conservative Political Action Conference meeting, saying they only “want more restrictions on the law-abiding.” 

"They want to sweep right under the carpet the failure of school security,” LaPierre said, a week after 17 people were killed in a school shooting in Parkland, Florida. LaPierre told the audience that the NRA stood ready to provide guidance to schools free of charge on how to protect students. He took another dig at the Democrats and one at the news media saying what the NRA offered was “more” than anyone else has. 

"We share a goal of safe schools, safe neighborhoods and a safe country," LaPierre said. 

Later he told the crowd gathered at the annual meeting for conservatives that, "Evil walks among us” when speaking about school shootings. Just minutes before LaPierre spoke, President Donald Trump tweeted that he supports the NRA and the work LaPierre is doing. 

"What many people don't understand, or don't want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

Who is Wayne LaPierre? Here are a few things you may not know about him.  

  • Wayne Robert LaPierre Jr. was born on Nov. 8, 1949, in Schenectady, New York. His family moved to Roanoke, Virginia, when he was 5 years old. 
  • He was raised a Roman Catholic. 
  • He spent a good portion of his career as a lobbyist. 
  • He volunteered for the 1972 presidential campaign of Democrat George McGovern. 
  • He earned a master’s degree in government and politics from Boston College. 
  • He was on the boards of the American Association of Political Consultants, the American Conservative Union, and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.
  • LaPierre became executive vice president and chief executive officer of the NRA in 1991. The NRA has 5 million members. 
  • He once told a friend his dream job was to retire from the NRA and open an ice cream stand in Maine. 
  • He is married. His wife, Susan, is also involved in the NRA. 
  • He makes nearly $1 million a year in salary. 
  • He hosts a weekly syndicated television program called “Crime Strike.” In addition, he has a weekly podcast and offers a short broadcast on gun rights every weekday. LaPierre says he opposes universal background checks, an assault weapons ban (as it was proposed in 2013) and any limits to access to semi-automatic weapons by law-abiding Americans. 
  • He says he supports armed security guards in schools, creating a computerized universal mental health registry of those judged to be incompetent and Project Exile, which mandates severe sentences for all gun crimes, especially illegal possession. He is an author and has written several books on gun safety and gun rights.
200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >