Now Playing
The New 93Q
Last Song Played
Houston's Country
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
The New 93Q
Last Song Played
Houston's Country

arts & theater

43 items
Results 11 - 20 of 43 < previous next >

Teen born without a jaw finds his voice, achieves dream of creating music

A teen born without a jaw is beating the odds again, launching a music career and helping other along the way.

When Isaiah Acosta was born, the odds were stacked against him. He’s now 17 years old and thriving in Phoenix, Arizona.

>> Read more trending news

Though he’s considered mute and will never have the ability to speak, Isaiah is now launching his music career.

“We knew we had a great story but we didn’t know it was going to explode like it did,” Tarah Acosta, Isaiah’s mother, told KNXV.

Last week, Isaiah’s hip-hop song “Oxygen to Fly” debuted. He partnered with Arizona rapper Trap House and a short documentary featuring his story was shared online. In just a few days, his story racked up more than 4 million views.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

“I don’t even think Isaiah thought this was possible. You know he is mute and we and a lot of people have told us they haven’t seen anything like this,” said Tarah.

You can listen to Isaiah’s song by clicking here. All proceeds from the song will go to the Children’s Miracle Network.

>> Watch a video about Isaiah here

#BoycottHamilton trends on Twitter as Trump supporters, critics sound off

national online debate has unfolded following a Friday night performance of “Hamilton” attended by Vice President-elect Mike Pence.

>> 'Hamilton' cast member issues challenge to VP-elect Mike Pence

After Pence was booed by some of the crowd, a cast member spoke from the stage to Pence as he left the theater during the curtain call.

>> Mike Pence enjoyed 'Hamilton,' was not offended when cast addressed him

“Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at ‘Hamilton: An American Musical.’ We really do,” Brandon Dixon said after telling the crowd to stop booing Pence.

>> 'Hamilton' actor who spoke to Mike Pence responds to Donald Trump

He continued, “We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us. Thank you.”

>> Read more trending stories

On Saturday and Sunday, President-elect Donald Trump fired back in multiple tweets, saying Pence deserved an apology.

>> Trump continues Twitter rant against 'Hamilton' cast

Those who believed Pence had been disrespected started tweeting using the hashtag #BoycottHamilton.

>> Click here or scroll down to see what people were saying

<iframe src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/boycotthamilton-trends-amid/embed?header=none&amp;border=false" width="100%" height="750" frameborder="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe> <script src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/boycotthamilton-trends-amid.js?header=none&amp;border=false"></script> [View the story "#BoycottHamilton trends on Twitter as Trump, Pence supporters sound off" on Storify]

Trump continues Twitter rant against 'Hamilton' cast

The "Hamilton" drama continues ...

The day after President-elect Donald Trump slammed the cast of the Broadway musical "Hamilton" for addressing Vice President-elect Mike Pence after Friday's show, Trump returned to Twitter to insult the show and call for an apology.

"The cast and producers of Hamilton, which I hear is highly overrated, should immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior," he wrote early Sunday. 

>> See the tweet here

The tweet came less than 12 hours after he took another shot at the actors.

>> 'Hamilton' cast member issues challenge to VP-elect Mike Pence

"Very rude and insulting of Hamilton cast member to treat our great future V.P. Mike Pence to a theater lecture," Trump tweeted Saturday evening. "Couldn't even memorize lines!"

The post was quickly deleted, but not before someone captured a screenshot of the tweet.

>> See the tweet here

The controversy erupted Friday evening when Pence attended the show and was booed by some audience members. After the performance, actor Brandon Dixon addressed Pence from the stage.

"You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening. Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out, but I hope you hear just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo, ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo. We're all here sharing a story of love. We have a message for you, sir; we hope that you will hear us out. And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post because this message needs to be spread far and wide," Dixon began.

>> 'Hamilton' actor who spoke to Mike Pence responds to Donald Trump

"Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at 'Hamilton: An American Musical.' We really do. We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us," he continued.

"Thank you truly for seeing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men, women of different colors, creeds and orientations."

>> Watch the statement here

Trump responded Saturday morning.

"Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!" he wrote.

The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!"

>> Read more trending stories

Dixon replied, "Conversation is not harassment sir. And I appreciate @mike_pence for stopping to listen."

After Orlando tragedy, Lin-Manuel Miranda gives passionate acceptance speech at Tony Awards

Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of and actor in the hit Broadway musical "Hamilton," recited a passionate poem during his acceptance speech for Best Score at the Tony Awards. He dedicated his speech to address the tragic mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub Sunday.

>> RELATED STORY: In wake of Orlando shooting, 'Hamilton' cast performs without muskets at Tony Awards

>> PHOTOS: Stars honor Orlando shooting victims on Tony Awards red carpet

>> PHOTOS: Photos: 2016 Tony Awards show

>> Read more about the Orlando nightclub shooting

“My wife’s the reason anything gets done. She nudges me towards promise by degrees. She is a perfect symphony of one, our son is her most beautiful reprise. We chase the melodies that seem to find us until they’re finished songs and start to play. When senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised, not one day.

>> Read more trending stories

This show is proof that history remembers, we live through times where hate and fear seem stronger, we rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love, cannot be killed or swept aside. I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story, now fill the world with music, love and pride. Thank you so much for this.”

Miranda previously commented on the Orlando massacre during an interview on the red carpet, according to People magazine.

>> RELATED STORY: Orlando nightclub shooting: What we know now

“On a day marked by such tragedy to get to celebrate such works of art,” he said, “I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.”

>> Click here to watch his speech

Lin-Manuel Miranda responds to Orlando attacksLin-Manuel Miranda responded to the Orlando massacre in his emotional Tony Awards speech: "Love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love, cannot be killed or swept aside."Posted by The Hill on Sunday, June 12, 2016

Broadway stars team up with James Corden for Carpool Karaoke

This isn't your buddy's karaoke night. These guys can actually sing ... on key.

James Corden's latest installment of "Carpool Karaoke" flipped coasts and traveled the streets of New York City.

The late night host is adding extra hosting duties this week, this time headlining the Tony Awards Sunday night

>> Read more trending stories  

That gig opened the door for a Broadway version of Corden's popular franchise, with guests like Lin-Manuel Miranda, from the hit "Hamilton," Audra McDonald, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Jane Krakowski.

They lend their voices, not only to a song from "Hamilton," but also hits from "Rent," "Jersey Boys" and finally "Les Miserables."

Watch the video below, or click here:

'Hamilton' posted a casting call, but one of its stipulations is causing quite the stir

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

The popular Broadway show “Hamilton” was praised for its diverse cast until the producers posted a casting notice specifying that they were looking for “non-white” actors.

The casting notice came as the show intends to expand to other cities, but it may be illegal. According to Newman Ferrara Law Firm lawyer Randolph McLaughlin, the notice violates the New York City Human Rights Law, which makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate based on race.

>> RELATED: 'Hamilton' cast members performed at the White House, and it was epic

The producer, Jeffrey Seller, defended his “non-white” casting notice WCBS, saying, “I stand by it and believe it to be legal.”

McLaughlin claims the producers can cast whoever they want based on artistic preference but must allow everyone to try out for the role.

“What if they put an ad out that said, ‘Whites only need apply?’” he said. “Why, African-Americans, Latinos, Asians would be outraged.”

>> Read more trending stories

The casting notice also appears to violate the policy of Actors Equity, which specifies that “…producers agree that auditions for all productions … will be conducted in such a manner as to provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

The “Hamilton” press representative said the casting notice was approved by Actors Equity, but the union’s general counsel claims this is not the case. The audition notice they approved welcomed “all ethnicities.”

The City Commission on Human Rights has yet to receive a complaint but would not say if it was investigating the “non-white” casting notice.

A source informed WCBS that the commission would probably work with the “Hamilton” production team to help it comply with city laws if the controversy becomes an issue.

>> Click here to watch a video report

Misty Copeland re-creates famous Edgar Degas paintings

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Misty Copeland, who became the first African-American woman to be named a principal dancer at the American Ballet Theatre last year, has already established herself as a legend.

>> Read more trending stories

Now the 33-year-old is re-creating the beauty of ballet in another art form. The March issue of Harper's Bazaar magazine will feature the ballerina in photos reminiscent of works of 19th century French artist Edgar Degas.   

In high-end fashions by designers like Oscar de la Renta and Alexander McQueen, Copeland posed to capture scenes from Degas' famous portraits and sculptures like "Little Dancer Aged Fourteen," "The Star" and "Green Dancer."

"I definitely feel like I can see myself in that sculpture—she just seems content but also reserved," Copeland told Harper's Bazaar about posing for "Little Dancer." "I was really shy and introverted at that age. I don't even have an image in my head of what I remember a ballerina being or existing before I took a ballet class. Ballet was just the one thing that brought me to life."

The photo shoot celebrates "Edgar Degas: A Strange New Beauty," an exhibition that will debut at the New York Museum of Modern Art in March. 

Read more here.

@harpersbazaarus she channels artist #EdgarDegas's most famous ballet works ahead of a new exhibition at #MOMA, dancer @MistyOnPointe opens up about what it feels like to make history. Go to the link in our bio to read her interview from the March 2016 issue and see the full fashion shoot by Ken Browar and Deborah Ory of @NYCDanceProject, styled by @Michelle_Jank. A photo posted by Misty Copeland (@mistyonpointe) on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:33am PST

@harpersbazaarus As she channels artist #EdgarDegas's most famous ballet works ahead of a new exhibition at #MOMA, dancer @MistyOnPointe opens up about what it feels like to make history. Go to the link in our bio to read her interview from the March 2016 issue and see the full fashion shoot by @KenBrowar and @DeborahOry of @NYCDanceProject, styled by @Michelle_Jank. A photo posted by Misty Copeland (@mistyonpointe) on Feb 10, 2016 at 12:11pm PST

"Misty Copeland: The Art of Dance  From Harper's BAZAAR As she channels the artist Edgar Degas’s most famous ballet works ahead of a new exhibition at New York’s Museum of Modern Art, dancer Misty Copeland opens up about what it feels like to make history. Video shot by Sandy Chase. Photography by Ken Browar and Deborah Ory of the NYC Dance Project. To learn more visit:http://www.nycdanceproject.com #mistycopeland #harpers #beautiful" (via #RapidRepost @AppsKottage) A video posted by Misty Copeland (@mistyonpointe) on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:21pm PST

Repost By @kristelyulo: "Ballet + Degas + Fashion: Trifecta! RG @harpersbazaarus - Watch #MistyOnPointe channel Edgar Degas' ballerinas. http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/art-books-music/a14055/misty-copeland-degas-0316/" (via #RapidRepost @AppsKottage) A video posted by Misty Copeland (@mistyonpointe) on Feb 11, 2016 at 5:47am PST

nycdanceproject One of the images from our photo shoot with Misty Copeland and Harper's Bazaar - the story is coming out in their March issue. @nycdanceproject @mistyonpointe @harpersbazaarus @instagram #edgardegas #nycdanceproject #mistycopeland #harpersbazaar #tutu #ballet #degas #moma A photo posted by Misty Copeland (@mistyonpointe) on Feb 11, 2016 at 3:53pm PST

Seattle company designs invisible art revealed in rain

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A Seattle startup said it is hoping to make rainy days a little brighter for everyone after designing a product that makes rain-activated art on sidewalks and other surfaces.

>> Read more trending stories  

The art is made with a stencil and a superhydrophobic coating spray that keeps water from soaking into surfaces, creating different shades of color.

>> Photos: Seattle invisible art revealed in rain

The product can be used on absorbent surfaces, including concrete, wood, stone, cardboard and fabric, and is invisible on a dry and sunny day.

The idea came from Peregrine Church, who considers himself part artist, part engineer and part inventor.

Last April, he and his business partner made a video for a Kickstarter campaign and it went viral.

The product is called Rainworks, and with 690 backers and $50,000 from the Kickstarter campaign, they've been filling numerous orders via their website

For $29, customers get a bottle of “invisible spray” that covers roughly 15 square feet, a stencil to make their own Rainwork and video instructions.

“My priority isn't making money. My priority is helping people make the world a better place. So once we're off the ground and flying, it'll be a lot of fun,” said Church.

The designs generally last about four to five weeks, depending on conditions. Since it’s temporary, it’s not considered graffiti in public areas.      

Rainworks is not only making art around the city, but is also putting messages and inspirational words in public areas, such as bus stops and parks.

The company is also creating online maps of Rainworks designs the company and others have done so that people can visit and see the designs.

43 items
Results 11 - 20 of 43 < previous next >